Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pet Watch from the director- 1/9/11

The Humane Society had a very busy 2010. We were able to find Forever Homes for 459 dogs and 325 cats. Some of our animals stayed in Stillwater but many found their new families in many different states including Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas, New York, Tennessee, New Mexico and Illinois. We love hearing the happy tails stories from the families.

Banjo was a Coon hound that we had at the shelter for quite awhile. He was very happy but became bored at the shelter; he is now living the life of a search and rescue dog in Albuquerque, NM. His new family sent us a great email about his new life.

Banjo has picked up his hound skin put on some muscle and his coat looks amazing. I think he even gets cuter with every breath. Everyone at the park loves his voice as do I. He is a good lookout at the house, he gets excited when my friends first turn onto the street not when they pull in the drive or get out of the car, and each corner is over 100 yards away so that is kind of amazing. He can open any door or gate that isn't locked. I'm going to start his scent training soon now that he's almost done with the normal house pet stuff. The trust bond between us is almost solidified. I have even found he listens and reacts better if you don't tell him what to do but ask him with plenty of please and thank yous. Some nights he shares my queen size bed with me but he also has his own room with bed and bowls. He eats fish, rabbit, deer and two nights ago he had a spinach salad with sun dried tomatoes and fresh tilapia. To my surprise he even ate it with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing I used. Over all I think he is doing quite well and I sure like having him around.

We have so many great animals just waiting to make 2011 the year that they find their new families. Please stop in to meet some of them.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the information about the Humane Society of Stillwater! Please check out my photos of the pets available for adoption there as well. You'll find them at http://www.gonecrittercrazy.blogspot.com.

    My family loves volunteering there and I hope my little blog will help those precious babies in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! It always helps to get the word out about our adoptable pets! You are always welcome to post the link on our facebook fan page as well.
    Thanks for volunteering!

    ReplyDelete